How Physical Therapy Can Help with Arthritis Pain
An estimated 24% of all adults in the United States have arthritis. Considering the prevalence of this condition, patients are always on the lookout for effective arthritis treatments.
Physical therapy is a time-tested, non-invasive method for alleviating arthritis pain. Below, we’ll discuss how arthritis patients can benefit from regular physical therapy sessions.
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis refers to inflammation and pain in one or multiple joints. There are many types of arthritis with different underlying causes. However, symptoms of arthritis generally include pain, swelling, stiffness, and a reduced range of motion in the joint(s).
The most common types of arthritis are:
- Osteoarthritis, or “wear and tear” arthritis, occurs from joint overuse over time
- Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease that causes the immune system to mistakenly attack the joints
- Psoriatic arthritis occurs when the patients experience inflammation in the joints and inflammation in the skin (psoriasis)
Physical Therapy For Arthritis Pain
Physical therapy is a natural, non-surgical, and drug-free treatment that may help with symptoms of arthritis. It’s a common treatment that may delay or even negate the need for surgery in arthritis patients.
The typical goals of physical therapy for arthritis patients include restoring joint function, improving mobility, increasing muscle strength, and improving the patient’s quality of life. To attain these goals, your physical therapist may:
- Provide strategies to improve your body mechanics and posture, which can alleviate pressure on the arthritic joint(s)
- Recommend and/or provide passive treatments, such as hot and cold therapy, massage therapy, and electrical stimulation to help alleviate arthritis symptoms
- Provide targeted exercises to strengthen the muscles that support the joints and stretches to relieve muscle tension
- Recommend lifestyle adjustments (such as activity modifications, using ergonomic chairs, etc.) to reduce the impact of arthritis on your day-to-day routine
The skilled physical therapists at Florida Wellness Medical Group can help you overcome arthritis pain without the need for surgery or prescription medications. Contact us today to request an appointment!