What is “Text-Neck?”
In this modern age of technology, almost all of us have a smartphone we use to communicate with others, take pictures, manage our schedules, cure boredom, and much more. But do we ever stop to think about how looking down at our phones constantly affects our bodies?
Text-neck is the poor posture associated with constant cell phone use that can lead to early wear on the spine, degeneration, and even surgery if not treated early on. The human head weighs an average of a dozen pounds. As you bend your neck forward, the weight on the cervical spine increases, placing more pressure on your neck, shoulders, and back. Teens and young adults need to be especially conscious of their posture as studies show they use smartphones more than any other generation.
What are the symptoms of text-neck?
The main warning signs that you may have text-neck are neck pain, stiffness, and soreness. Some other possible symptoms include:
- Radiating pain in your arms and shoulders.
- Tension headaches or migraines
- Early onset arthritis
- Curvature of spine
- Muscle weakness
- Loss of lung capacity
How to prevent text-neck:
While most of us cannot completely eliminate looking down at our smartphones, there are multiple things we can do to lessen the risk of developing text-neck.
- Avoiding excessive smartphone usage and make sure not to stay in one position for an extended time while using your smartphone. When you do use your smartphone for extended periods of time, try to position the device so that it reduces strain on your head and neck.
- Exercises that strengthen and stretch your neck and shoulder muscles help to prevent aches and pains caused by text-neck. We recommend yoga and Pilates as these exercises place an importance on proper posture.
- Be sure to schedule regular adjustments with your chiropractor to relieve tension and ensure proper alignment. If you’ve experienced any text neck related symptoms like headaches or migraines, chiropractic adjustments will play a huge role in easing those symptoms.
If you are looking for a natural solution through chiropractic care, check out the Florida Wellness Medical Group! Don’t forget, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!”