Spring has officially sprung! While we all enjoy budding flowers, chirping birds, and clear blue skies at this time of the year, common springtime illnesses can throw a wrench in your plans. But, by planning ahead and taking care of your health, you can prevent these ailments from derailing your favorite springtime activities.
Some of the most widespread illnesses in the spring include:
Spring is one of the peak times of year for seasonal allergies. During the spring, high pollen counts caused by blooming flowers can lead to red, itchy eyes, a runny nose, sneezing, and coughing, among other symptoms.
If you experience seasonal allergies in the spring, follow these tips for relief from your symptoms:
- Take an over-the-counter allergy medication before your symptoms begin. If you have questions about allergy medications, make sure to consult your doctor.
- Especially on days with high pollen counts, keep the windows of your home and car closed.
- Make sure to shower and change your clothing after returning inside to prevent pollen from sitting on your skin and spreading throughout your home.
The Common Cold
Rhinoviruses, (or the common cold, as they’re more frequently called), tend to spread in the spring. At this time of year, be especially careful to wash your hands thoroughly and regularly, especially after coming into contact with high-touch surfaces. Additionally, try not to touch your mouth, nose, and eyes.
Deer ticks often emerge in the springtime, bringing with them Lyme disease. Lyme disease can have severe medical complications, making it crucial to practice Lyme disease prevention throughout the spring. Make sure to:
- Steer clear of tall grass and bushy, wooded areas.
- If you go on a hike, remain in the center of the trails.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants tucked into socks while spending time in areas where deer ticks may be present.
- Apply insect repellent before heading outside.
- When coming indoors after spending time outside, check yourself, your children, and pets for ticks. Remove any feeding ticks immediately, and shower to get rid of walking ticks.
At Florida Wellness Medical Group, we’re here to protect the health of you and your family all year long. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!