Acupuncture is widely known to help release muscle tension and relax the body. But, many people don’t know that it can also help with respiratory issues! As a natural treatment based on ancient Chinese medicine, acupuncture can serve as an alternative to conventional treatments for a range of respiratory concerns, including COPD.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture has been around for over 3,000 years, making it one of the world’s oldest healing practices. Acupuncture techniques are rooted in the theory of meridians, which are pathways in the body through which energy flows. These meridians lead to specific points on the body known as acupoints. By stimulating acupoints, acupuncture is thought to renew the flow of energy and help the body heal itself.
During acupuncture treatment, tiny needles are inserted into acupoints to restore balance throughout the body. Treatments typically last between 20 and 30 minutes.
How Does Acupuncture Help With Respiratory Issues?
Acupuncture is thought to help with respiratory issues by:
- Enhancing the flow of energy in the respiratory system
- Improving circulation throughout the body, which helps deliver oxygen to all of the body’s cells, including those that are involved in the respiratory system
- Strengthening the immune system to support the body’s healing process
- Releasing muscle tension and reducing inflammation to facilitate breathing
Which Respiratory Issues Can Acupuncture Treat?
Many patients with the following respiratory concerns can achieve relief with regular acupuncture sessions:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Acupuncture can provide relief from these common respiratory issues without the complications associated with conventional treatments such as prescription medications and allergy shots.
At Florida Wellness Medical Group, we offer acupuncture membership programs so that patients can receive routine acupuncture sessions for a range of health concerns, including respiratory issues. For more information, schedule an appointment today!